Learning Through the Days of the Year
There are historic, important, and even fun and silly events to commemorate nearly every day of the year. You can use some of these dates to boost your young child's knowledge of the world in a fun and playful way. We have compiled information, books, websites, lessons, DVDs, and other resources to help you do just that in our Universal Preschool Learning Calendar.
Here is a sample of what you will find for the month of March...
March Learning Calendar
1 — Peanut Butter Lover's Day!
Peanut Butter has long been an all-time favorite of preschoolers and their mom's. March is also National Peanut Month - first celebrated in 1941.
Did you know that one acre of peanuts will make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches?
Learn About Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter Recipes
- Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter & Banana Waffles
- Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Peanut Butter Soup
Sing a Song
- Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme by Nadine Bernard Westcott
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Prayers by Julie B. Sevig
- Peanut Butter And Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book by Brian P. Cleary
- From Peanuts to Peanut Butter (From Farm to Table) by Kristin Thoennes Keller
- George Washington Carver: The Peanut Wizard by Laura Driscoll
- The Life and Times of the Peanut by Charles Micucci
5 — King Arthur & The Knights of the Round Table Day!
Howard Payle, the author of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, was born on this day in 1835.
- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Benedict Flynn — a beautiful retelling of kings, queens, knights, wizards, and quests for ages 4-8.
Play Dress Up:
- Make and Wear Your Own Crown!
- Make and Wear Your Own Knight's Helmet!
- Get free Knights & Royalty Coloring Pages!
Watch a Video:
12 — Plant A Flower Day!
Invite your child to plant some flower seeds. Go to the garden store and pick out some flower seeds. (Ask the clerk which flower seeds grow quickly.) If you use pre-packaged potting soil (with fertilizer) whatever flower seeds you choose will grow faster. Take a small flower pot, and place it on an aluminum pie tin. Have your child pack the flower pot with potting soil. Don't pack it all the way to the top - fill it just to about 1/2" from the rim around the top of the pot.
Follow the directions on the back of the seed packet for planting the seeds. Place a few on the soil and show your child how to push the seeds into the soil. Make sure the seeds are covered with soil and then lightly water - so the soil is moist - not soaking wet. Show your child how to use a spray bottle filled with water to water the flower seeds daily. (Just spritz the soil lightly.)
The flower should sprout within 10-14 days. Keep watering it until it fully grows and blooms.
Try these activities:
- Read: The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow by Joanna Cole.
- Do These Flower- Themed Activities for Preschool Age Children.
- Sing Songs About Flowers!
17 — St. Patrick's Day!
Learn about St. Patrick's Day
Read a Book
31 — Tater Day!
This small festival started in Benton, Kentucky in the late 1800s as a celebration of the arrival of Spring. The townsfolk enjoyed a parade and traded sweet potatoes - a crop that grows well there. Sweet potatoes have beautiful heart-shaped leaves and are easy to sprout. Here's how:
- Grow a Sweet Potato - Take a sweet potato and stick three toothpicks in it so that it will hang suspended in a container. Fill the container with water, covering half of the Sweet Potato with water. Set the Sweet Potato near a source of light - such as near the kitchen window. The potato will start to develop roots and then sprouts. In about 4-weeks, the sprouts will grow 8-10 inches and develop leaves.
- Print Out and Color Sweet Potato Coloring Pages
Read a Book
That's just a taste of the entertaining and engaging resources that will help you boost your young child's knowledge of the world in this outstanding activity book and time-saver! Order your copy today - here's how:
Note: If your preschool-age child has older siblings at home, you may be interested in our comprehensive DVD Schooling Calendar with learning suggestions for every day of the year.